EPCOS Cultural Tour:
Sunday September 4 th , 2016
at Trinity College,
Afternoon walking tour of Cambridge
led by Prof Stephen Elliott
Meet at Trinity Great Gate (outside), Trinity Street at 2pm.
In 2009, the University of Cambridge marked its 800 th anniversary; it is the fifth oldest
University in the world, after Bologna, Oxford, Salamanca and Paris. This 2.4km walking
tour of Cambridge includes many of the most important sights of the University and City.
We start at 2pm in the Great Court of Trinity College, the largest College in Cambridge (or Oxford) and the host of E\PCOS. After a brief introductory talk on the Collegiate University in general and Trinity in particular, we take a short walk to King’s College, passing Gonville and Caius, Trinity Hall and Clare Colleges, in order to visit the King’s College Chapel (1446 – 1515), world-famous for both its late Gothic architecture and its choir.
We then exit onto King’s Parade and make the short walk to view the ‘Chronophage’ Clock (2008) of Corpus Christi College. From there, we walk along King’s Parade and Trumpington Street, passing Pembroke College, and then past the smallest and oldest (1284) College, Peterhouse, and then the University’s Judge Business School (housed in the old Addenbrooke’s Hospital (1766), and converted in 1995 in Ancient Minoan style!).
Our next visit is at the University’s world-famous Fitzwilliam Museum. We will visit the exhibition, ‘Colour: The art and science of illuminated manuscripts’, celebrating the bicentenary of the Museum’s founding. More than 150 illuminated books from the Fitzwilliam’s collection are on show, dating from the 8 th to the 17 th centuries, together with the results of cutting-edge scientific (spectroscopic) investigations of the painted images.
From there, we will walk back into the centre of town via an atmospheric street behind Corpus Christi where the Old Cavendish (physics) building is situated, and where many seminal discoveries were made by famous Cambridge physicists, including Rutherford, JJ Thomson, Chadwick, Crick and Watson etc. We will be able to see Eric Gill’s carving (1933), in the exterior brick wall of Kapitza’s previous magnet laboratory, of a crocodile (Kapitza’s nickname for Rutherford). Finally, we will pass through the open Market before ending back at Trinity.
2.00 pm Start. Assemble outside Trinity Great Gate.
5.00 pm End